Social Media News to Know: January 2023
Tripepi Smith’s Always-Be-Learning (#ABL) culture drives us to stay up to speed on constantly changing social media platforms. This knowledge empowers our team to track, interpret and adapt to the latest and greatest social media trends on behalf of the public agencies we serve. The following is the latest installment of our regular roundup of social media news you need to know:
- Twitter is updating how metrics may be tallied going forward. This update comes from Musk’s move to upgrade the ‘Bookmark’ action. The ‘Bookmark’ functionality was previously hidden, leaving many users to not know about it. It is now moving into the spotlight alongside the ‘Like’ and ‘Retweet’ buttons. This will allow users to easily utilize the function, as well as create another measure in how Twitter tally’s overall engagement on content.
- Meta has started updating their terminology for accounts reached within an ad campaign. While a minor update overall, this will impact ad reporting and metric collecting. The term ‘people’ is being updated to ‘Accounts Center accounts’ within Ads Manager, Ads Reporting and Instagram Insights. This will have larger implications if the Facebook and Instagram accounts are linked together – 1 person could count as 2 ‘Accounts Center accounts’ depending on whether or not the accounts are linked.
- LinkedIn is planning to simplify how users find relevant newsletters within the platform. To do this, the platform will add an option for users to view what newsletters other users are subscribed to within the app. This will help people develop deeper connections from newsletter outreach, as well as help companies boost exposure by encouraging employees to sign-up for their own updates.
- Youtube continues to make updates to the platform to keep up with today’s short form content boom. In a recent update the platform has introduced new analytics and display options focusing on YouTube Shorts. This will allow users to see data subscriber growth, subscriber recognition options, insights on content type and more, specifically in regards to Shorts.
For more #AlwaysBeLearning insights from Tripepi Smith:
- Sign up for our email newsletter
- Add our RSS to your favorite RSS Feed reader
- Follow us on Facebook
- Like & Follow us on LinkedIn
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Instagram