Social Media News to Know: June 2020
Social media moves quickly. The rising dominance of Instagram still lives in recent memory, yet younger demographics are now migrating en masse to the short-form video sharing platform TikTok – which, at over 500 million daily users, rivals Instagram in popularity.
More importantly for public agencies, features like “Stories” content, automatic message replies and live streaming tools–nonexistent just a few years ago–are now essential components of your communications repertoire.
You may not always have the time to learn about the latest and greatest social media trends (let alone the luxury of resources and budget to implement them). Tripepi Smith has you covered with a regular roundup of social media news we think you need to know. Here are five stories that caught our attention this past month:
- Facebook has introduced “Facebook Protect,” a feature that provides added security for verified public agency accounts by auditing for use of best practices like two-factor authentication and monitoring for potential hacking threats.
- Twitter now allows select users to publish videos up to 10 minutes long (as compared to the usual limit of 2 minutes and 20 seconds) and use call-to-action buttons via Media Studio.
- LinkedIn page admins can enable post notifications for employees. By alerting employees when new updates are posted to the company page, companies can encourage their team to interact with their content – which in turn will build the brand’s online reputation and expand its reach.
- Facebook now allows users to disable paid content related to social/political issues from appearing in their feeds.
- Twitter is testing a feature that allows users to restrict who can Reply to their tweets to those mentioned in their tweets.
For more #AlwaysBeLearning insights from Tripepi Smith:
- Sign up for our email newsletter
- Add our RSS to your favorite RSS Feed reader
- Like & Follow us on Facebook
- Like & Follow us on LinkedIn
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Instagram
About Tripepi Smith
Tripepi Smith is an Orange County-based marketing, technology and public affairs firm that serves for-profit, nonprofit and public agencies. Its unique mix of marketing and technology prowess provides a competitive advantage to agencies seeking to leverage the internet to achieve their communication goals. The firm provides full content creation services, including: ghost writing, collateral development, photography, video production, search engine marketing, search engine optimization, email marketing campaigns and website design and execution. Tripepi Smith clients include: City of American Canyon, City of Culver City, City of Cupertino, City of Daly City, City of Duarte, City of El Cerrito, City of Indian Wells, City of La Cañada Flintridge, City of Lakeport, City of Lake Forest, City of Paramount,City of Rolling Hills Estates, City of Santa Ana, City of Santa Cruz, City of Tracy, City of Yuba City, Cal Choice, California Joint Powers Insurance Authority, Bellflower-Somerset Mutual Water Company, Inland Empire Utilities Agency, Rowland Water District, Valley Water Company, California Contract Cities Association, California City Management Foundation, Institute for Local Government, League of California Cities, Renne Public Law Group, Bob Hall & Associates and Climatec Energy Services.