City of Marina Adopts District Map with Outreach Assistance from Tripepi Smith
Beginning in June 2021, the City of Marina engaged Tripepi Smith to assist with outreach and communication during the City’s redistricting process. The City recently concluded this process by adopting Map 109 as the new council district map.
“The City of Marina is dedicated to reaching all communities of interest within the City. When voters with similar interests are drawn into a district together, their combined voices give them a greater opportunity to express their views and elect council members of their choice. This makes community input throughout the redistricting process extremely important,” noted City of Marina Assistant City Manager Matt Mogensen. “We are thankful that Tripepi Smith was able to foster a conversation for identifying communities of interest and break down complex redistricting information for our residents, which was evident in the more than 50 draft maps received from community members.”
To help encourage and facilitate resident involvement, the Tripepi Smith team, which included Director Cameron Grimm and Business Analysts Sydni Overly and Allison Torres, executed the following outreach activities:
- Published a dedicated webpage for the redistricting process: MapMarina.org.
- Created a community survey through the website encouraging residents to share their communities of interest.
- Wrote and distributed two press releases promoting the first public hearing and mapping tools.
- Sent two citywide mailers to all Marina residents in that included information on the redistricting process and how to get involved, the schedule of public meetings and a paper map that could be drawn on and sent back to the City.
- Designed two flyers promoting the first and fourth public hearings that were virtually distributed and made available online
- Hosted two bilingual in-person community workshops for residents to share their input on communities of interest and learn how to use the mapping tools. These workshops were also recorded and made available on the website.
- Conducted direct phone and email outreach to community organizations and interested residents to inform them of upcoming events and deadlines to submit maps.
- Generated two paid Facebook advertisements promoting the redistricting schedule and community workshops.
- Posted one social media post a week about the districting process on Facebook and Nextdoor.
All materials produced for this redistricting process were produced in English and Spanish. Following the City Council’s direction at the first public hearing, the second flyer and the second press release were also produced in Korean and Vietnamese.
“It was apparent from the start of our engagement that the City of Marina cares about the voices of their community members and wanted to go above and beyond to get residents involved in the redistricting process,” stated Cameron. “We are thankful to have been given the opportunity to partner with the City to help them achieve their goals of working with residents to adopt a new district map that is reflective of the community’s interests.”
About the City of Marina
Incorporated in 1975, Marina is the newest city on the Monterey Peninsula. Over 22,000 residents occupy the city’s 9.8 square miles. It started as a small town bedroom community to a small, diversified, vibrant city. The City aims to provide a desirable residential and business community in a natural setting, insulated from the common urban sprawl.
About Tripepi Smith
Tripepi Smith is a marketing, technology and public affairs firm based in Orange County, CA. Its clients include for-profit, nonprofit and public agencies throughout the state of California. The firm’s unique mix of marketing and technology prowess provides a competitive advantage for organizations seeking to leverage the Internet to achieve their communication goals. Tripepi Smith provides full content creation services, including: ghostwriting, collateral development, photography, video production, search engine optimization, email marketing, crisis communications, social media management and website design and execution. Tripepi Smith clients include: City of Santa Ana, City of Culver City, City of Rolling Hills Estates, City of Tracy, City of Santa Cruz, City of Snoqualmie, City of Cupertino, City of Daly City, City of La Cañada Flintridge, City of Paramount, City of Huntington Beach, City of El Cerrito, City of Indian Wells, City of Yuba City, Santa Clara County Fire Department, Industry Business Council, NHA Advisors, CalChoice, California Joint Powers Insurance Authority, Rowland Water District, California Contract Cities Association, California City Management Foundation, League of California Cities, Institute for Local Government, Renne Public Law Group, Inland Empire Utilities Agency and Climatec Energy Services.